Based on Cooks Illustrated recipe.
- 1/3 cup - sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp - finely grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups - fresh blueberries
- 1 1/8 cups - sugar, plus 1 tsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cups - unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp - baking powder
- 1 tsp - salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) - unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup - vegetable oil
- 1 cup - buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp - vanilla extract
- Mix together the sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 cup blueberries with 1 tsp sugar in saucepan. Simmer, cook, mash berries, until they have popped and the mixture has thickened (approximately 6 minutes). Transfer and cool.
- Preheat oven to 425F and canola oil pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt
- Whisk 1 1/8 cup sugar with the eggs until thick. Whisk in butter and oil until just combined. Add buttermilk and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Fold egg mixture with dry ingredients, add remaining blueberries until just mixed.
- Divide into muffin cups. 1/2 tsp blueberry mixture in each cup, plus lemon zest.
- Bake for ~20 minutes.