Lacto-Fermented Butternut Squash Spread
This attempts to reproduce a fermented squash spread I had at at Bar Tartine forever ago. It’s also a great way to procrastinate on CSA squash.
For the cultured squash:
- Peel a butternut squash and cut into ribbons or 1-inch blocks.
- In a large sealable jar, add cut pieces and the squash top to a 5% salt brine (~800g total brine probably). Weigh down so that squash is submerged.
After a month or more, when sample squash is sour and savory:
- Peel and steam until tender a second butternut squash.
- Add fermented squash, steamed squash, and 1/2 cup tahini (optional) to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add squash brine as needed for salt and texture.
Any remaining seeds here can be toasted in a neutral oil.