This is a casual summer/early Fall casserole to use up tomatoes, eggplants, and basil from the CSA or garden. Not really a lasagna, as it doesn’t use lasagna noodles.
- Slice Italian-style eggplant thinly, salt, and spread out on a sheet pan to expel some water.
- Dry off eggplant with a towel, bake on sheet pan in the oven at 350F until cooked through.
- In a casserole dish, interleave eggplant with tomato sauce and grated
pecorino, parmesan, etc.
- Lightly oil panko breadcrumbs with olive oil in large bowl.
- Complete the last layer with tomato sauce, grated cheese, and oiled panko breadcrumbs (in that order).
- Heat through in the oven at 350F.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil, either chopped or whole.